73 Percent of Consumers Said Superior Delivery Would Impact Their Decision to Shop With a Retailer Over Amazon
AUSTIN, Texas – June 16, 2016 – Convey, providers of the first enterprise solution focused exclusively on the end-to-end customer delivery experience, today released the findings of a consumer survey titled The Cost of Poor Delivery: Four Steps To Go from 'Cost Center' To 'Competitive Advantage, which highlights how the delivery experience shapes consumers’ opinions about a retailer and the overall customer experience.
For this survey, Convey asked 500 consumers 11 questions about their experiences and expectations for delivery. The purpose of the survey was to understand the importance shoppers place on various aspects of the delivery experience and preferences around things like communication and issue management.
According to the survey, the customer forms impressions about the brand throughout the purchase experience, and these impressions are reaffirmed or destroyed by the experience they receive through the delivery process.
The survey found that 66 percent of commerce shoppers consider the delivery a decisive factor of the shopping experience. In addition, 70.1 percent of consumers report they are unlikely to return after a poor delivery experience. Additional notable findings from this survey include:
- Few consumers (only 11.3%) say delivery experience is a strength of retailers today.
- 43 percent of shoppers expect their delivery experience to be personalized based on their order and purchase history with 39% expecting to receive a better experience if they’ve shopped with a retailer before.
- 75 percent of shoppers believe proactive communication is important with 38% expecting to be notified immediately in the event of an issue
- 54 percent of shoppers have indicated that delivery concerns are at least somewhat likely to prevent them from making large-item purchases online.
- Despite the complexity that exists with delivering large items, shopper expectations remain equally high. In fact, 72.2 percent of shoppers said that they expect to receive the same level of experience regardless of shipment size.
- In the case of delayed or damaged goods, 53.1 percent of shoppers would expect expedited shipping on a replacement product, 43.9 percent would expect a refund or discount on shipping costs, and 19.4 percent would expect a coupon for their next purchase.
“Today’s top retailers recognize that to succeed, customer loyalty must be a core focus,” said Rob Taylor, CEO and co-founder, Convey. “However, creating loyal customers and meeting expectations is becoming increasingly difficult. As this survey has shown, when it comes to customer perception, the delivery experience is one of the most influential factors. Meeting these expectations and efficiently improving the delivery experience is pivotal to both top line revenue and bottom line cost.”
Delivering personalized experiences means being able to adapt and potentially diversify delivery options for shoppers based on real-time data. Personalizing the delivery experience requires knowledge of the order and customer history to map to the best method of delivery. Retailers should create processes for managing exceptions, as well as when and how to communicate with the customer to improve the customer experience and maintain customer loyalty.
Click here to download the full consumer study, The Cost of Poor Delivery: Four Steps To Go from “Cost Center” To “Competitive Advantage.
About Convey (formerly Pivot Freight)
Convey is the first enterprise solution focused exclusively on the end-to-end customer delivery experience. The technology transforms the most frustrating part of the customer’s experience into one that delights at every turn. Unify carrier ecosystems, identify problems before they happen, and facilitate changes on-the-ground, in real time. Predictive, adaptive, and proactive delivery is here.
From parcel to freight and well beyond, the world’s largest retailers are turning to customer delivery for their next competitive advantage. Convey is the difference between simple tracking and elegant, continuous orchestration. Learn more at: www.getconvey.com
Other Point of Sale blogs that may interest you:
- ARCA Acquires Mavimec S.r.l., Prosecure S.r.l. and Sumotec S.r.l.
- Netsurion and POS Solutions Partner on Security and PCI Compliance
- Partnership to bring Gamification to Loyalty Programs for Global Brands
- Point of Sale Fraud At the Gas Pump Is Reduced With Visa's Intelligent Analytics
- Virtual Reality Company For Retail Opens East Coast Office
- Salesfloor Storefront(TM) Redefines the Role of In-Store Sales Associates