WASHINGTON, April 3, 2018 – The National Retail Federation issued the following statement from President and CEO Matthew Shay after U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer released a list of Chinese imports subject to new tariffs under the Trump administration:
“As we’ve said all along, tariffs are taxes on consumers and a drag on the nation’s economy. While we are pleased that many everyday products such as clothing and shoes are not on the list, we remain concerned that other goods such as consumer electronics and home appliances are targets. And we believe that tariffs on certain machinery will make American-made products more expensive.
“This entire process creates uncertainty and makes it difficult for retail companies that must rely on complicated global supply chains. Tariffs threaten to hurt consumers, jeopardize job creation and increase the cost of doing business here in the United States. Once again, we urge the administration to work with our trading partners to hold China accountable, advance targeted solutions and recognize the unintended consequences of protectionist trade policies.”
NRF is the world’s largest retail trade association, representing discount and department stores, home goods and specialty stores, Main Street merchants, grocers, wholesalers, chain restaurants and Internet retailers from the United States and more than 45 countries. Retail is the nation’s largest private-sector employer, supporting one in four U.S. jobs – 42 million working Americans. Contributing $2.6 trillion to annual GDP, retail is a daily barometer for the nation’s economy.
Other Point of Sale News
- Convenient Cardless Access to Cash Available at More Retail ATMs
- TRANSACT Keynotes to Focus on How Payments Technology is Transforming Commerce
- Investments in Asia-Pacific shift focus to online retail channel, says GlobalData
- Cavirin Earns Microsoft Co-Sell Ready Status
- RevTech To Host 11th Semi-Annual Tech Trends in Retail
- Symphony RetailAI Accelerates Growth and Market Momentum
- New for TRANSACT: Integrated Payments/Software and Payment Facilitator Session Tracks
- Main Street Softworks Introduces ChipTab® Payment Solution for Bars, Clubs & Restaurants
- Mobey Forum Launches Internet of Things Expert Group
- Blockchain Will Reshape Industries Around The World And Eliminate Intermediaries