WASHINGTON, July 25, 2017 – The National Retail Federation today urged the Senate to move forward on efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare even if lawmakers have not yet agreed on the exact legislation that will be considered.
“NRF recognizes that there are myriad and contrasting concerns involved with addressing the ACA,” NRF Senior Vice President for Government Relations David French said in a letter to senators. “The first step toward resolving those concerns and moving forward with an improved ACA or successor legislation begins with opening debate and moving to amendments.”
“Retailers are impatient for relief from the Affordable Care Act,” French said. “The ACA continues to adversely influence staffing patterns, discourage full-time employment and add to the cost of goods in retail stores.”
The Senate is expected to vote as soon as this afternoon on a motion to proceed, which would allow debate to begin on repeal legislation. But senators have yet to reach agreement on what legislation they will then attempt to pass.
NRF opposed enactment of the ACA in 2010 and has worked since then to reduce cost burdens and ease compliance requirements.
“The ACA remains a heavy burden for the greater retail community despite all of our efforts to fix and adjust to the law,” French said.
NRF is the world’s largest retail trade association, representing discount and department stores, home goods and specialty stores, Main Street merchants, grocers, wholesalers, chain restaurants and internet retailers from the United States and more than 45 countries. Retail is the nation’s largest private sector employer, supporting one in four U.S. jobs – 42 million working Americans. Contributing $2.6 trillion to annual GDP, retail is a daily barometer for the nation’s economy.
Other POS News:
- Retailers Call Bill Blocking Online Sales Tax ‘Opposite Direction of Fairness’
- Utimaco Hardware Security Modules Achieve Payment Card Industry Compliance
- POS PARTNERS, INC. HAS BEEN SELECTED AS THE POS SOLUTION PROVIDER FOR LOURDES HEALTH SYSTEM
- BJ’s Wholesale Club Announces New Mobile Site
- FIRST INSIGHT NAMED IN GARTNER'S "HYPE CYCLE FOR RETAIL TECHNOLOGIES, 2017"
- Stuzo Launches Connected Application Technology Assets to Accelerate Mobile Commerce for
- Cardpool Launches New ’Marketplace’ Option; Allows Gift Card Sellers to Set Their Own Price
Get The Point of Sale News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.