WASHINGTON, April 5, 2018 – The National Retail Federation issued the following statement from President and CEO Matthew Shay after the White House instructed the U.S. Trade Representative to consider an additional $100 billion in tariffs against China:
“This is what a trade war looks like, and what we have warned against from the start. We are on a dangerous downward spiral and American families will be on the losing end. To be clear, we agree it’s time to address China’s unfair trade practices, but an additional $100 billion in tariffs amount to $100 billion in taxes on the American people. Tax reform delivered a real benefit to working families, and tariffs take them away.
“These tit-for-tat trade actions could spell disaster for the U.S. economy and make it harder for Americans across the country to afford everyday products and basic necessities. It is inevitable that China will respond with more retaliatory actions that cause even further harm to American farmers, businesses and consumers. We urge the administration to change course and stop playing a game of chicken with the nation’s economy.”
NRF is the world’s largest retail trade association, representing discount and department stores, home goods and specialty stores, Main Street merchants, grocers, wholesalers, chain restaurants and Internet retailers from the United States and more than 45 countries. Retail is the nation’s largest private-sector employer, supporting one in four U.S. jobs – 42 million working Americans. Contributing $2.6 trillion to annual GDP, retail is a daily barometer for the nation’s economy.
Other Point of Sale News
- Retailers Respond to Tariff List
- Convenient Cardless Access to Cash Available at More Retail ATMs
- TRANSACT Keynotes to Focus on How Payments Technology is Transforming Commerce
- Investments in Asia-Pacific shift focus to online retail channel, says GlobalData
- Cavirin Earns Microsoft Co-Sell Ready Status
- RevTech To Host 11th Semi-Annual Tech Trends in Retail
- Symphony RetailAI Accelerates Growth and Market Momentum
- New for TRANSACT: Integrated Payments/Software and Payment Facilitator Session Tracks
- Main Street Softworks Introduces ChipTab® Payment Solution for Bars, Clubs & Restaurants
- Mobey Forum Launches Internet of Things Expert Group