February 13, 2017 – Whether it’s a small romantic gesture or an extravagant surprise for that special someone, it would appear shoppers around the globe are feeling loved up, spending more on the most romantic day of the year than ever before.
The annual “Mastercard Valentine’s Day Index,” an analysis of payment card transactions over a three-year period, has revealed that sentimental spending has increased by 49 percent. And while the majority of purchases still happen in person, love is the latest thing to go digital, with a 37 percent increase in the number of online transactions.
If you still haven’t picked up something special for your loved one – you’re not alone. Data showed the majority of Valentine’s purchases happen during a last-minute dash on February 13th, with 47.4 million transactions that day alone over the past three years.
Recent years have shown that the stomach is increasingly the way to one’s heart, with spending in restaurants soaring by 102 percent since 2014.
“Whilst the way we say I love you might have changed in recent years, showing someone you care on February 14 is more popular than ever. The Mastercard Valentine’s Day Index highlights key global and regional trends to hopefully offer retailers some priceless insight into how customers want to spend the most romantic day of the year” commented Linda Kirkpatrick, Executive Vice President, US Merchants and Acceptance.
The study, which looked at shopper behavior in more than 200 territories around the globe, identified some other purchasing trends.
The personal touch still matters: Despite the continued growth of online, 95% of transactions around Valentine’s Day are still made in person. Those in Latin America showed the biggest shift to online, with an increase of 250% from 2014 to 2016, followed by the Middle East and Africa with a 56% increase
Other POS news:
- First Data Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results
- WebJoint's Cannabis Software Smoked the Competition for 2018 California Compliance
- Reward Sciences Integrates Loyalty, Rewards Platform Into More Than 750 Business Apps
- ScanSource and Touch Dynamic Team Up for Distribution
- Spirit Lake Casino Resort to Boost Efficiency, Guest Service with Agilysys Visual One PMS
- GSP Brings Innovative Smart Distribution Technology to StorePoint Fashion 2017
- Ridley's Family Markets Partners with Digital Foodie to Offer On-demand Ordering
- Shop.co Acquires Zen Shopping
- Total Merchant Services Announces Free Groovv mPOS
Get The Point of Sale News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.