Edge Mobile Payments Acquires Plastc
SANTA CRUZ, Calif., Dec. 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Edge Mobile Payments, a Santa Cruz-based Fintech company, today announced it has acquired the assets of Plastc, a San Francisco-based digital payments company. The acquisition enables Edge to build on Plastc’s progress and to accelerate the release of its upcoming Edge Card.
“While Plastc ran out of funding before it could ship a completed product, the company made significant progress in engineering and marketing a dynamic payment card,” said Peter Garrett, founder and CEO of Edge. “This acquisition will accelerate our production timeline and move us closer to what the public wants: a dynamic payment card with improved security that consolidates all your cards into one.”
As part of the Plastc asset purchase, Edge has agreed to provide a significant benefit to Plastc preorder customers: a $50 discount toward the purchase of the Edge Card.
“Consumers use over a billion magstripe cards with technology that hasn’t changed in nearly 50 years,” said Garrett. “Our Edge Card will bring consumer payments into the modern age, while making them more convenient and secure. For the Plastc backers, we value their contributions and want to honor their support.”
Rather than relying on preorder financing to fund the development of the Edge Card, Edge is relying on private equity to develop and produce a full-featured dynamic payment card. A broad Edge Card beta program will begin in the first half of 2018 and shortly afterwards, the Edge Card will be available to the general public.
About Edge Mobile Payments
Santa Cruz-based Edge Mobile Payments is an IoT Fintech company dedicated to enriching the user experience with its new mobile wallet and dynamic smartcard technologies. Find out more at www.Edgesmartcard.com and follow Edge Card on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Edge Card name and logo are Trademarks of Edge Mobile Payments, LLC and its Parent Company. All other names and logos are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Other Point of Sale News:
- Nets and OpenWay Collaborate on Monetization of PSD2 and Open Banking
- STUDY: 32% of Shoppers Looking for Better InStore Customer Service During Holiday Shopping
- Retailers Welcome NLRB Reversal of Expanded ‘Joint Employer’ Definition
- PAR Technology Named to Food Logistics’ 2017 FL100+ Top Software Providers List
- Mastercard SpendingPulse: Holiday Retail Sales Up 3.6%
- November Retail Sales Up 6 Percent Holiday Spending on Track to Meet NRF Forecast
- Allied Wallet Projects Significant Growth Upon Chip and Pin mPOS Launch
- Octo Extend Telematics Insurance to Point of Sale as Autonet Connects to New Platform
- CBS’ NorthStar Point of Sale Adds Integration with Rosnet Data Management For Restaurants