George Hamilton Appears As KFC’s Extra Crispy Colonel
Campaign Creates Awareness for KFC Extra Crispy Recipe Chicken and Tenders
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – June 23, 2016 – Building on the successful formula of celebrity Colonel Sanders, Kentucky Fried Chicken® created, for the first time, a product specific Colonel, the Extra Crispy™ Colonel, played by the world famous actor George Hamilton. The advertising campaign begins on Sunday and will feature KFC’s signature $5 and $20 Fill Ups™, which are perfect for summer meals and gatherings.
More than 50 percent of Americans don’t know that KFC has two fried chicken recipes – Original Recipe® and Extra Crispy. Extra Crispy Chicken and Tenders are super crunchy, juicy and cooked to a golden brown. They are double breaded and open fried to give them a signature crunch while staying very juicy and tender. As with Original Recipe, Extra Crispy Chicken is hand-breaded and prepared fresh by cooks in KFC restaurants all day, every day.
“Just like no one person could play the Colonel, no one Colonel can sell both Original Recipe and Extra Crispy fried chicken,” said Kevin Hochman, KFC US Chief Marketing Officer. “And no actor was more qualified to play our Extra Crispy Colonel than a very tan George Hamilton.”
“I like to think that I know a thing or two about being extra crispy,” added Hamilton. “It didn’t take long for me to get into character as the Extra Crispy Colonel. One could argue that my entire career has been leading up to this role,” he said with a wink.
The campaign by Wieden+Kennedy will include four spots, comprised of two :30 and two :15 commercials, all of which will air nationally. The ads feature Hamilton as the Colonel with an exaggerated suntan to emphasize his “extra crispy” character as he combs the beach to share his love of Extra Crispy Chicken with families. In a bucket that easily doubles as a picnic basket, KFC’s Extra Crispy Chicken will satisfy everyone’s taste buds in the sizzling summer heat.
KFC Corporation, based in Louisville, Ky., is the world’s most popular chicken restaurant chain. KFC specializes in Original Recipe®, Extra Crispy™, Kentucky Grilled Chicken® and Extra Crispy™ Strips, Hot Wings™, Go Cups, KFC Famous Bowls®, Pot Pies, freshly made chicken sandwiches, biscuits and home-style side items. There are more than 19,400 KFC outlets in 115 countries and territories around the world. KFC Corporation is a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc., Louisville, Ky. (NYSE: YUM.) For more information, visit www.kfc.com.
(Editors note – George Hamilton isn’t quite in our usual realm of news, but, hey, we like KFC and will try the chicken. )
More news from Pointofsale.com
- Lightspeed Appoints NKPR as PR Agency of Record
- 1 in 5 Mobile Wearable Ticketing Users to Shift to Mobile Contactless Purchases by 2021
- Posiflex Launches New Point Of Sale Terminal for Non-Stop Service
- Solid May Retail Sales Add to Positive Trend, Says Michigan Retailers Association
- GS1 US Integrates Three Online Tools to Introduce New GS1 US Data Hub®
- RFID Journal to Hold RFID Retail and Apparel Event in NYC Oct. 6, 2016
- Stikeleather Apparel Has Acquired Online Retailer White Plum
- ASI (Restaurant Manager) Announces New Business Development Manager Hire
- Processing.com receives significant investment from LaSalle Capital
- Claris Solutions Appoints Dan Natale Business Development and Consulting Partner
- Kroger Introduces Online Grocery Shopping in North Texas and Louisiana
- Vivino and Marsh Supermarkets Launch First U.S. Retail Pilot Program