IDEMIA Taps Fingerprints For Japan’s First Biometric Payment Card Trial
World-leading biometrics company, Fingerprint Cards (Fingerprints™) today announces its collaboration with IDEMIA, the global leader in Augmented Identity, on Japan’s first biometric payment card trial, a key milestone in the roll-out of biometric payment cards. Utilizing Fingerprints’ sensor technology, the pilot will run on Japan’s leading payment network, taking the region one step closer to commercial roll-out of biometric payment cards.
“Japan is renowned for early adoption and, with this initiative, it is once again leading the way in launching the latest digital payment technologies. The ongoing EMV® migration ahead of the 2020 Olympic Games makes it a perfect testing ground for PIN-less, painless and secure contactless payments,” comments Thomas Rex, SVP of the Smartcard Business Line, Fingerprints.
IDEMIA’s F.Code solution, replaces PIN or signature authentication with a fingerprint. This delivers greater security without impacting the frictionless payment experience of contactless cards.
“Everyone can benefit from these new cards,” adds Thomas. “Banks can reduce fraud and grow trust to retain and attract customers. For retailers, streamlining the authentication process with biometrics can achieve higher customer throughput and reduced drop-outs, increasing revenues. Importantly, too, the cards work and are processed the same way as standard contactless cards, with no upgrades required to existing acceptance infrastructure.”
The trial is using a FPC1300-series sensor, has ultra-low power consumption, superior biometric performance, a key requirement for handling both contact and contactless transactions.
Other Point of Sale News
- GSP Design Services Advances in ADDY® Award Competition
- EMVCo Reports Over Half of Cards Issued Globally are EMV®-Enabled
- IRI Uncovers Distinct Purchase Motivators of Emerging and Powerful Generation Z Shoppers
- Shift4 Payments Announces Availability of Alipay and WeChat Pay Acceptance for North American Merchants
- Amazon Launches the International Shopping Experience in the Amazon Shopping App
- Bamboo Rose Partners with Seaport Global to Offer Lower-Rate Financing Solution to Retail Suppliers
- Ingenico Group Reveals Versatile, All-in-One ECR for Small and Mid-Sized Retailers
- Altierre and Sirqul Announce Strategic Alliance to Help Shoppers Locate Items In-Store
- March Retail Sales Increased 5 Percent Over Last Year
- IRI Announces Most Successful Consumer Packaged Goods Brands of 2017