Infographic Shows Impact of Wholesale and Retail Small Businesses on Jobs, Economy
New Infographic Shows Impact of Wholesale and Retail Small Businesses on Jobs, Economy, Consumption Patterns
Washington, D.C. – SCORE, – www.score.org – mentors to America’s small businesses, has gathered statistics about the effects that small wholesale and retail enterprises have on our economy through revenue generation, employment and social consciousness.
Statistics on Wholesale Businesses
According to data presented visually in the infographic, 90% of wholesalers are small businesses with less than 20 employees and these enterprises generate $6.5T in sales and create 2.2M jobs. The infographic also displays the gross margins associated with various wholesale sectors.
Retail Business Data
There are 3.8M retail establishments in the U.S. that are directly responsible for 28M jobs, impacting 42M jobs in total. The infographic also lists the gross margins associated with various retail sectors.
Consumers Shop Main Street to Help Their Local Economy
The data clearly shows that American consumers value small businesses as economic drivers:
- 87% of consumers believe small businesses are a crucial element of the overall U.S. economic health
- 89% agree that locally-owned, independent businesses contribute positively through taxes and jobs
And they base their shopping habits on supporting them:
- 93% of consumers say it’s important to support local businesses
- 73% of consumers consciously shop at small businesses in their community because they do not want them to go away
• The National Retail Federation: https://nrf.com/advocacy/retail-facts-and-stats/US
• The American Express OPEN Small Business Saturday Consumer Pulse (July 2011)
• United State Census: Wholesale Trade: https://www.census.gov/wholesale/index.html
• United State Census: Retail Trade: https://www.census.gov/retail/index.html#ecommerce
DOWNLOAD HERE: https://www.score.org/resources/wholesale-local-economy
Since 1964, SCORE has helped more than 10 million aspiring entrepreneurs. Each year, SCORE provides small business mentoring, workshops and education to more than 375,000 new and growing small businesses. More than 11,000 business experts volunteer as mentors in over 320 chapters serving local communities with entrepreneur education.
For more information about starting or operating a small business, call 1-800/634-0245 for the SCORE chapter nearest you. Visit SCORE at www.score.org. Connect with SCORE at www.facebook.com/SCOREFans and www.twitter.com/SCOREMentors.
Even more useful information:
The Point of Sale News(tm) could not exist without its Sponsors. Please be sure to let these companies know you’ve seen them on www.pointofsale.com. Thank you!