Mastercard Launches the Inclusive Futures Project, Aimed Toward Gig and On-Demand Workers
PURCHASE, N.Y.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Mastercard today announced the Inclusive Futures Project, a new program committed to providing products and services specifically aimed at gig and next-gen workers.
The program, announced at the U.S. Conference of Mayors by Mastercard North America President Craig Vosburg, leverages core Mastercard strengths to immediately address the challenges of workers who juggle multiple jobs, variable paychecks and inconsistent benefits. One-third of the U.S. workforce is in this category, often lacking the tools to navigate the traditional financial marketplace.
“Mastercard is in a great position to respond to the changes we’re seeing in our economy – to use our technology infrastructure, digital payments expertise and data and insights to introduce meaningful solutions that help our changing workforce prosper and our cities continue to flourish, all benefiting from a connected economy,” said Vosburg.
The Inclusive Futures Project will address challenges in three key areas: digital solutions to manage finances and speed payments; government services for greater innovation and efficiency; and smart cities for a digitally inclusive future.
- Digital Solutions Commitment: Mastercard and Care.com, the world’s leading online service for finding and managing family care, will make it easier for caregivers on Care.com to manage variable cash flows and personal finances by providing them with real-time payments for services rendered along with budget management tools.
- Government Services Commitment: Mastercard and Square will join forces and engage, to start, with municipalities in New Orleans and Cleveland to create educational workshops to provide support to entrepreneurs and small business owners, with a specific focus on financial literacy and access. By leaning into existing digital solutions and partnerships, the two companies will help local businesses expand with digital payments.
“Small businesses are the growth engine of the economy, and the economy is better when everyone has access,” said Mary Kay Bowman, Head of Payments, Square. “Along with Mastercard, we want to learn about improving economic empowerment in cities across the country. It’s all part of our mission to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their businesses.”
Working with government and private partners, Mastercard helps to ensure millions of Americans safely and reliably receive government payments, including social security and veterans’ benefits, through Direct Express.
- Smart Cities Commitment: Through a public-private sector program called City Possible, Mastercard will work with cities and corporate partners around the world co-developing, scaling and commercializing solutions that help drive more inclusive and sustainable urban economies.
In Chicago, Mastercard worked with City Tech and other partners to pilot innovative demand management services during busy transit periods. The pilot found that nearly 18 percent of commuters would alter their travel plans, for the right incentive, to avoid congestion before evening baseball games. In New York, Mastercard data insights helped NYU researchers study increased commercial activity around bike sharing and free public WiFi service.
Details of Mastercard’s expanding inclusion strategy in the U.S. can be found here in our white paper, The Inclusive Futures Project: On the Front Lines of Inclusive Growth in the U.S.
Mastercard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. Mastercard products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone.
Other Point of Sale News
- FinTech Startup Raises Series A Capital for Payments Fraud Solution
- Voice Commerce, Software Solutions Top Trends in 2018, Finds Market Spotlight
- Linc Global’s AI Platform Powers Automated Customer Care for Lamps Plus
- alphabroder Enhances Its Digital Commerce Experience With GroupBy’s Technology
- Mastercard and the U.S. Agency for International Development Announce New Coalition
- PowerReviews Introduces Innovative Products to Improve User-Generated Content Syndication
- ATMIA 2018 Promotes Innovation & Success for Cash & ATMs
- emnos Rolls out Its Retail Analytics Strategy for Non-Grocery Segments
- Skyline Hotel and Casino Chooses Agilysys to Deliver a Superior Guest Experience
- SMCP Transforms Digital Store Experience with PredictSpring and Salesforce Commerce Cloud
- Talari Extends SD-WAN Scalability With New Platform