Mastercard Adds Contactless Payments to Garmin vivoactive
Purchase, NY – August 31, 2017 – Today Mastercard announced that it is adding payment capabilities to the newly launched Garmin® vívoactive® 3 to provide active customers a watch that frees them from having to carry their phone or wallet around. Mastercard will be enabling fitness enthusiasts to make contactless payments and pay by simply tapping their device at a contactless terminal at nearly 6.6 million merchant locations globally.
How It Works:
- Garmin users will enter payment information in the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app (available in Apple and Android app stores) by scanning a card or manually entering their information.
- Once the cardholders details are validated and app has synced with the smartwatch, the card is available for use.
- The user can quickly launch their wallet from the controls menu and tap at a contactless terminal whenever they wish to make a payment.
“Technology is enabling fitness companies to provide athletes with the most comprehensive performance trackers we have seen in our time,” said Kiki Del Valle, senior vice president, Commerce for Every Device, Mastercard. “Adding payment capability to these devices is a natural next step to make training and fitness experiences more relevant, personal, and convenient.”
Bringing secure payment functionality to the Garmin vívoactive® 3 is the latest initiative within the Mastercard Commerce for Every Device program that is designed to provide consumers a safe and secure way to pay from any device of their choice. Simplicity and security are at the core of the Garmin Pay capability. By using Mastercard’s industry-leading token service, the 16-digit card number found on the front or back of a payment card is replaced by a unique alternate number or “token.” The token number is not only different from the card number but is also, on its own, useless, when trying to perform a transaction via a different device – making each transaction secure.
“We want to be true training partners and support the active lifestyles of our users,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “With Mastercard technology, our users no longer need to be tethered to their physical wallets and can pay for things in a safe, simple, and secure way. This partnership enables us to empower our consumers to use the device that is most convenient to them, with a high level of security.”
Mastercard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. Mastercard products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MastercardNews, join the discussion on the Beyond the Transaction Blog and subscribe for the latest news on the Engagement Bureau.
About Garmin International Inc.
Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN). Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. Garmin and vivoactive are registered trademarks and Garmin Connect and Garmin Pay are trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
Other POS News:
- Mobivity Bolsters Receipt Technology Patents
- Betteridge Selects Mi9 Retail End-to-End Jewelry Suite
- DRB Systems Selects Ascentium Capital for Strategic Customer Financing Program
- Smart & Final Launches Delivery E-Commerce Site Shop.smartandfinal.com Powered By Instacart
- ShopKeep Announces Cash Advanced Program, ShopKeep Capital
- Yext and Zoës Kitchen Partner to Manage Digital Knowledge for Restaurants Across the U.S.
- TurnTo Achieves Milestone of 10 Millionth Checkout Comment Collected