Mastercard Eyes Future of Retail with AR Shopping Experience
Collaboration with ODG and Qualcomm will mark the first time Masterpass is combined with iris authentication in an AR environment for simple, secure payments
PURCHASE, NY – October 23, 2017 –Mastercard unveiled an augmented reality shopping experience today that for the first time incorporates Masterpass and Identity Check Mobile with iris authentication for safe and seamless payments. Developed with Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, and ODG (Osterhout Design Group), it delivers photorealistic augmented reality and provides consumers the ultimate customized, security-focused shopping experience.
Augmented reality has the potential to reshape the retail environment, making it more immersive and efficient. This new AR experience from Mastercard will not only let shoppers view digital representations of products before they commit to a purchase, but also learn more about what they are buying, see additional options not available in the physical location and get instant recommendations or other information relevant to their unique experience. When done shopping, users can pay for items using Masterpass, which will first authenticate the user’s iris using Qualcomm Technologies’ iris authentication. The shopper then selects a card from their Masterpass-enabled wallet and completes the purchase by selecting the Masterpass button on the screen. Items can be taken home from the store or shipped, depending on availability.
“At Mastercard, we are seeing major shifts in how commerce is conducted, as people lead increasingly connected, digital lifestyles,” said Sherri Haymond, executive vice president, Digital Partnerships, Mastercard. “As the physical and digital worlds blend together, we are focused on developing solutions that provide merchants with the ability to accept payments across all technology platforms possible—in-store, in-app, online, and in AR and VR—to help drive how people will experience shopping and payments in the future.”
Mastercard, ODG and Qualcomm Technologies developed this prototype technology as a proof of concept that may help retailers find new ways of enhancing the in-store shopping experience and generating incremental sales by sharing relevant content and information to the shopper while they are shopping. It leverages:
- Masterpass, the digital payment service from Mastercard, and Identity Check Mobile, which enables users making purchases to authenticate with physical traits including fingerprint, facial and voice recognition software;
- ODG’s expertise to lead the development of the AR shopping experience, as well as its award-winning extra-wide-field-of-view R-9 smartglasses with enhanced iris tracking cameras; and
- Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform running the Snapdragon XR SDK and iris authentication technology with liveliness detection for a superior authentication experience.
“ODG is delighted to work with Mastercard and Qualcomm Technologies, fellow leaders in their respective fields, to offer a look into the future of shopping and purchasing habits,” said Ralph Osterhout, Founder and CEO at ODG. “This solution showcases the transformative nature of augmented reality in the retail space and highlights the power and performance of ODG smartglasses and the unparalleled potential for headworn AR to change the way we see and experience the world.”
“Qualcomm Technologies’ iris authentication and extended reality technologies for Snapdragon 835 are designed to support a future generation of contextually aware commerce experiences using secure, augmented reality,” said Neeraj Bhatia, Director, Product Management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “We are delighted to work with Mastercard and SAKS Fifth Avenue to showcase new AR experiences on ODG’s sleek smart glassed based
Other Point of Sale News are:
- Alipay Taps Marqeta to Expedite Payment Acceptance At Retail Locations Across the U.S.
- Ingenico Group Expands mPOS Offer with new Tablet POS Solution for the US Market
- LogiMAT Expands Sales Activities in Turkey
- Mastercard Opens-Up Access to Blockchain API
- Retail Community Joins Together to Launch U.S. Global Value Chain Coalition
- Future POS Announces Feature Rich Cloud Based Back Office
- First Data to Acquire BluePay
- Celestica Announces Appointment of Chief Financial Officer
- Dream Payments Launches the Dream Point of Sale for Merchants of All Sizes
- 46.2% Of Toys & Games Will Be Sold Online By 2022