Mastercard makes ‘selfie’ payment technology a reality
LONDON – October 4, 2016 – Mastercard today announced the European roll out of Identity Check Mobile, a new payment technology application that uses biometrics like fingerprints or facial recognition to verify a cardholder’s identity, simplifying online shopping. The technology is now being introduced across 12 markets in Europe. These markets include the UK, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, and Sweden, following a series of successful trials in the Netherlands, the U.S., and Canada. The technology will be rolled out across the world in phases in 2017.
Typically, existing identity verification methods take shoppers away from a retailer’s website or mobile app where they are often required to remember and enter a password. The process can be time consuming and can result in a shopper abandoning their purchase or having the transaction declined if they enter their password incorrectly.
Mastercard Identity Check Mobile eliminates the need for cardholders to recall passwords, dramatically speeding up the digital checkout experience while also improving security. Instead, the cardholder can verify their identity by using the fingerprint scanner on their smartphone or via facial recognition technology by taking a “selfie” photo.
“We are relentlessly focused on making the online payment experience near frictionless, without making any compromises on safety and security,” said Ajay Bhalla, president of Enterprise Risk & Security, Mastercard. “This is a significant milestone in the evolution of payments. Shopping in person has been revolutionized thanks to advances like contactless cards, mobile payments and wearables, and now we are making Identity Check Mobile a reality for online shopping in Europe, and soon, the world.”
MasterCard Identity Check Mobile app extends ..Read more…
More POS news:
- City of Ekurhuleni and Mastercard Help Ratepayers Pay Their Bills Using Their Smartphones
- Mi9 Retail Doubles Revenue through Q3 2016
- New Relic Helps Leading Retailers Prepare for and Thrive During Their ’Black Friday’
- Holiday Spending is Expected to Increase 10% During 2016 Season, Although Store-Based Retailers
- SYNQY Announces World’s First Open Retail-Merchandising Platform for Ecommerce
- Displaydata Appoints Deep Patel as SVP Customer Services
- Utah Grocery Stores, Macey’s and Lin’s, Upgrade to New POS System