Retailers Respond to Administration’s Latest Tariff Announcement
WASHINGTON, May 29, 2018 – The National Retail Federation issued the following statement from President and CEO Matthew Shay after the White House announced plans to move forward with tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese imports.
“We’re disappointed the administration has announced plans to move ahead with tariffs, which will lead to higher costs for consumers, fewer jobs and retaliation. China’s trade practices raise serious concerns, but job-killing tariffs aren’t the answer. As the U.S. and China prepare for another round of negotiations, we hope the administration has clearly defined objectives and concrete solutions to resolve this trade dispute without tariffs. The lack of clarity surrounding the administration’s plans is creating significant uncertainty for American businesses, disrupting supply chains and threatening to undermine the economic gains we’ve seen over the past year.”
A recent study by NRF and the Consumer Technology Association found tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese imports, coupled with retaliation promised by China, would reduce U.S. gross domestic product by nearly $3 billion and destroy 134,000 American jobs.
The National Retail Federation is the world’s largest retail trade association. Based in Washington, D.C., NRF represents discount and department stores, home goods and specialty stores, Main Street merchants, grocers, wholesalers, chain restaurants and internet retailers from the United States and more than 45 countries. Retail is the nation’s largest-private sector employer, supporting one in four U.S. jobs — 42 million working Americans. Contributing $2.6 trillion to annual GDP, retail is a daily barometer for the nation’s economy.
Other Point of Sale News
- Poseidon Foundation Launched First Retail Platform to Support Climate Action
- U.S. and EU Retailers Release Industry Approach to New Data Protection Regulations
- Afterpay Launches in the U.S. with Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie and Free People
- Digital Analytic Assistant, CINDE, Expands Skills to Provide Retailers and CPGs
- Zuckerberg Media, JD.com and Glossier to Speak at NRF’s Shop.org 2018 Conference
- Game Changing Social Impacting Shopping Platform KIINDLY Launches
- New Research Estimates Global Retailers Spent $104 Billion on Changing Price Labels 2017
- EMVCo Creates QR Payment Mark to Help Promote Worldwide Acceptance of EMV QR Code Payments
- PayPal Significantly Expands Global Omnichannel Platform With Acquisition of iZettle
- Everest Technologies Expands Offerings with Manhattan Associates Partnership