#Shoptalk Retail Orders Using Promotions Up 86 Percent YOY in March 2016
Key findings from the benchmark include:
- Retailers sold less at full price in Q1 2016 vs. a year ago, with full-price sales down 4 percent for the quarter and orders using a promotion up 63 percent. March was an especially promotional month, with an 86 percent increase in orders using promotions compared to 2015.
- Retailers found it harder to convert first-time buyers into second-time buyers, with those conversions down 6 percent compared to last year.
- While revenues were up 10 percent in the first quarter compared to 2015, retailers’ ability to control profit has been unstable in early 2016. Retail profits were up an average 5.2 percent year-over-year in Q1, however most gains occurred in January, with increasing volatility in February and March.
“The antiquated strategy of retailers relying exclusively on their promotional calendars to run their operations has fostered an ingrained need for discounts by consumers, who are increasingly being trained to wait for promotions or discounts prior to making a purchase,” said John Squire, CEO and co-founder of DynamicAction. “In order to have any hope of being prepared to answer customers’ needs and shareholders’ expectations during the holiday season of 2016, retailers must right now focus on curbing the promotional addiction and utilizing their full data set to better manage their inventory and their operations.”
The DynamicAction Retail Index: Spring 2016 is an analysis of more than $5 billion USD in consumer transactions and benchmarks retail trends in key categories from January-March 2016 in comparison to the previous year.
DynamicAction will discuss the findings from the DynamicAction Retail Index: Spring 2016 at Shoptalk, May 15-18, where Squire is also participating in a panel discussion on “The Future of Artificial Intelligence in Retail,” on Tuesday, May 17 at 1:40 p.m. PST.
Other Point of Sale blogs that may interest you:
- Grupo M Apparel Manufacturer Selects NGC’s Fashion PLM Software
- Datacap solves US EMV for Mobile POS with TranCloud
- Convey Launches New Intelligent Fulfillment Platform at #Shoptalk
- TrueCommerce Announces eStore Integration
- CAM Commerce Solutions Releases RetailSTAR 10.1
- Dallas Rapid Transit Uses PayNearMe to Reduce Cash Handling