Supreme Court Takes Case to Decide Fate of Online Sales Tax
ARLINGTON, Va., Jan. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Twenty five years after the United States Supreme Court created the loophole that today allows Internet-only sellers to evade state sales tax collection, the Court has granted South Dakota’s petition for certiorari in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., Overstock.com, Inc., and Newegg, Inc. By taking the case, the Court can end the carve out created by Quill and validate efforts by states and the merchant community to create a level playing field for all retailers.
“The retail community is grateful that the Court has recognized the extraordinary importance of this issue,” said White. “Retailers hope that the Court will ultimately conclude that the economic-nexus standard is a more appropriate way to decide today which retailers must collect sales tax than the physical-presence test created more than a half century ago. In doing so, the Court will validate efforts by the states to treat community and absentee retailers equally when they conduct business with consumers in their state.”
The Retail Litigation Center is a public policy organization that identifies and engages in legal proceedings that affect the retail industry. The RLC, whose members include some of the country’s largest retailers, was formed to provide courts with retail industry perspectives on significant legal issues, and highlight the potential industry-wide consequences of legal principles that may be determined in pending cases.
RILA is the trade association of the world’s largest and most innovative retail companies. RILA members include more than 200 retailers, product manufacturers, and service suppliers, which together account for more than $1.5 trillion in annual sales, millions of American jobs and more than 100,000 stores, manufacturing facilities and distribution centers domestically and abroad.
Other Point of Sale News
- Holiday Retail Sales Increased 5.5 Percent in 2017, Exceeding NRF Forecast
- Come See the Store of the Future at Partner Tech’s NRF Big Show Booth!
- VICTORY: Walmart Extends Parental Leave to Hourly Workers, Advocates Applaud
- Kibo and Maui Jim Outline the Omnichannel 2.0 Vision for Brands at NRF 2018
- AccuStore® Heads to #NRF2018 BIG Show to Highlight The Future of Store Technology
- Cryptocurrency Operations Forge Ahead Despite Rising Regulatory Concerns
- Toshiba Tec Showcases Digital Signage Solutions at #NRF2018 Retail’s Big Show
- #NRF2018 – LG Innotek Offers the Future of Retail IoT Solution
- #NRF 2018 – Acuative Announces Bandwidth Speed and Cost Breakthroughs
- WeSpire Launches New Wellbeing and Positive Culture Modules