Telenor First Mobile Network Operator to Launch a MasterPass Enabled Wallet
Budapest, February 23, 2016 – Telenor, the second largest mobile network operator in Hungary introduced a new, important and useful feature for its Telenor Wallet application available free of charge for Android and IOS users. Now the app also supports MasterPass, the MasterCard digital payment solution that allows customers to buy the things they want quickly, simply and anywhere they are. The introduction of the new feature is unique as Telenor Wallet (by Telenor Hungary) is the first MNO integrating MasterPass functionality into their wallet.
MasterPass makes it possible for the users to purchase goods on the internet or in app through Telenor Wallet in a simple, fast and safe way.
- Telenor Wallet is a free application which can be used not only by the clients of Telenor, but customers of any other mobile service provider.
- To pay with MasterPass, users can register with any bank cards with a major brand issued by any banks in the Telenor Wallet. MasterPass eliminates the need to enter detailed payment information with every purchase; it is enough to provide the customer’s phone number on the merchant’s website. The solution simplifies the process of completing a transaction from any connected device.
Telenor Wallet was developed and connected to MasterPass by leading European mobile wallet provider Cellum.
Quick and easy registration
To pay with MasterPass, register a bank card and other data necessary for the transaction (expiration date, verification number) once in the Telenor Wallet app and choose the “Buy with MasterPass” option at the end of the shopping experience. Bank card data is never stored on the smartphone.
“We are pleased to announce that Telenor is the first mobile network operator in the world to launch a MasterPass enabled wallet. A recent study reveals that at the end of last year the number of online shoppers was more than 2,3 million in Hungary, which represents 41% of those who use internet on a daily basis. The Wallet application has been downloaded on over 250,000 smartphones, which makes it the most popular mobile wallet in Hungary” said Aleksandra Banovic, Chief Digital Service Officer at Telenor.
“We’re in the midst of a global transformation as people are moving from the offline and disconnected world. This is the digital story of our time: everyone and everything is becoming connected. And this connectivity is transforming the way consumers interact….and now transact. We are very proud that Telenor, who is a pioneer in this field, has decided to expand its services with MasterPass, a unique solution that will make shopping even more secure, easier and faster for its customers.” commented Endre Eölyüs, Country Manager for Hungary and Slovenia at MasterCard.
Simple and secure online payment
MasterCard also provides global acceptance, which means that cardholders can pay in several online stores in the world where they see the MasterPass logo. In Hungary, Telenor Wallet is available for cardholders of any domestic bank, and the registration is possible with any bank cards with a major brand. Hungarian cardholders can now benefit from a smooth payment experience at over 150 local online merchants, but also, they can shop on the web globally, in 29 countries worldwide, including 15 European countries at over 250.000 webshops.
During payment in online stores, users do not need to enter their bank card details, only their phone numbers. After each MasterPass transaction a notification by Telenor Wallet pops up which needs to be approved by the user.
Parking and mobile phone bills
The customers of Telenor will be able to use the Wallet for paying their mobile phone bills, popping-up their balance, paying for parking, buying motorway pass, electronic lottery ticket or travel insurance through the application after registering their bank cards.
Installation and activation of the application
Registration of bank cards
To be able to use the payment function of Telenor Wallet, the application needs to be connected to one or more bank cards. Following the registration, the user enters the bank card details and the chosen mPIN code after which the application will activate the card.
Telenor Hungary was established under the name Pannon GSM as part of the Telenor Group in 1994. With more than 1,100 employees and a market share of 30%, it is one of the leading mobile operators of the Hungarian market. Telenor Hungary provides efficient, affordable and easy-to-use voice and data services, mobile content and value-added services to 3.5 million consumers and business customers. Its continuously upgraded nationwide Hipernet network and innovative solutions make it a long-term investor in Hungary. Telenor has been committed to transparent and ethical business operations for years. It has been the first Hungarian mobile operator to join the Corporate Supporters Forum of Transparency International in Hungary.Read more
More Articles …
- Paymentwall opens Japanese digital market to international businesses
- Ingenico Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Georgia
- Reflektion Closes $18 Million in Series B Funding Led by Battery Ventures
- Ahold USA and RSi Reinvent the Retailer Supplier Relationship
- Dream Payments Launches Mobile Merchant Services Platform for Banks and Merchant Acquirers
- BTM Global Implements Oracle Retail POS and Store Invt Mgmt For Perry Ellis
- Datalliance now manages over 20,000 locations, 26 million SKU’s, and $40B in sales
- New FreshBooks Credit Card Reader Gets Small Business Owners Paid on the Spot
- Verifi Hires Donald Weary as VP of Merchant Solutions & Product Operations
- Maropost Releases Shopify Integration